The ITT Smart Pad® brake pad is a first-of-its-kind sensor-embedded and connected brake-pad that transforms the ubiquitous friction technology from passive automotive components into an active system that collects real-time data to improve driving safety and efficiency.
Designed to address major current and future-forward automotive technological trends that are at the heart of our clients' emerging needs, the revolutionary ITT Smart Pad® brake pad is a step in defining the future of mobility, including alternative powertrains, autonomous driving, and mobility as a service among an array of other anticipated developments.
Sensors embedded in every ITT Smart Pad® brake pad actively measure temperature, pressure distribution, torque, residual torque, vibration, noise and wear, and then feed all the data – in real-time – to the overall braking system and vehicle's data and telematics systems. Proprietary sensors and software enable increased safety, efficiency, sustainability, and connectivity throughout vehicles. Further exploring beyond the limits of existing micro-sensors and electronics technologies, the ITT Smart Pad® brake pad can withstand the harsh environments, high pressure, and temperatures brake pads are exposed to regularly.
Defining the Next Phase of the "Go-To-Market" Strategy for the ITT Smart Pad®
The highly innovative ITT Smart Pad® brake pad project is being supported by funding within "POR FESR Piemonte 2014-2020, ASSE I, Action I.1b.1.1," a fund of Regione Piemonte with a mission to sponsor regional projects starting from previous results of basic research activities and going into the industrial environment and marketable products.
The funds provided within POR FESR Piemonte 2014-2020 have been used to accomplish the following goals:
- Development, starting from previous research results, of ITT Smart Pad® brake pad advanced prototypes (ready to be industrialized).
- Development of the required innovation into the brake pad manufacturing process, defining and designing optimized or new phases and components (back-end and front-end) appropriate to produce these innovative brake pads.
To date, the results of the research have been extremely positive, including:
- Fully engineered ITT Smart Pad® brake pad prototypes have been designed and produced, improving the maximum operating temperature conditions and overall reliability of the product.
- ITT Smart Pad® technology compatible with additive manufacturing technologies has been proven and prototypes have been produced utilizing this unique technique.
- Fully engineered electronic hardware and software components have been developed specifically for the "ITT Smart Pad® brake pad System" for automotive applications.
- Specification and design of back-end and front-end pilot lines layout for the ITT Smart Pad® brake pad has been released.
- A manufacturability study has been completed on pilot lines for back-end and front-end production of the ITT Smart Pad® brake pad.
Through bold thinking and advanced innovation, ITT continues to challenge the status quo and advance the state of automotive and friction technology. We look forward to continuing to work closely with our research sponsors and partners including POR FESR Piemonte 2014-2020 fund to explore the full potential and many unique applications for the ITT Smart Pad® brake pad and other innovations.
Watch, Listen and Learn More! Visit